Sunday, February 20, 2011

Secrets

Will is my secret.  No one here knows him like I do; no one knows him at all.  He lives in England, or rather, he lived in England.  Here, he has no home, but the one I share with him.  His family was left behind, but we see them from time to time, saying sometimes for months.  Will often acts as a different person when in public here.  The clothes he wears are different, his attitude not as formal.  He acts as I have coached him, as though he has been Americanized.  When we are at his home, I too must act on his coaching.  My manner must be severely formal, and I must be careful in how I speak.  I must change my accent to match Will's, and use a story that is not my own.  Our worlds are completely separate, but with Will by my side, there is no where to call home than with him.  Between us, we have no secrets, but we must protect our secret from the rest of the world.  Will was born in Bradford, West Yorkshire, England, in the year 1823.  I was born in Nebraska, in the year 1992.  We are able to travel randomly between Will's home and mine, but neither of our families know the truth of who we are, and who we have become.

1 comment: